The Returned & Services League of Australia WA Branch incorporated (RSLWA) has welcomed the support of the McGowan Government, the WA Department of health and WA Police for the staging of commemorative events for this coming ANZAC Day, Sunday 25 April 2021.
The traditional Dawn Service at Kings Park, the Street Parade through the Perth CBD and the Commemorative Service at the Perth Concert Hall will be conducted but with some limitations given the current COVID-19 restrictions.
As such, the Dawn Service will be limited to a maximum of 10,000 people this year. To help manage the numbers and meet the requirements, people planning to attend the Kings Park event will be required to register online. Registration is free and will close once the limit is reached.
RSLWA Chief Executive Officer, John McCourt, said this year’s Dawn Service was a highly anticipated event following last year’s cancellation of all services, so it’s understandable some people may be disappointed with the limited numbers.
“The main thing is, we are looking to keep people safe so that everyday life can continue to be as normal as possible,” he said.
“To enable as many groups as possible to register, a limit of six people for each registration has been put in place.”
People who register for the Kings Park Dawn Service will be required to also register with the SafeWA app or physically sign in at the entry points.
Face masks will be encouraged to help keep others safe, as will physical distancing of 1.5 metres during the event. Hand sanitiser points will be provided on entry and throughout the dedicated viewing areas.
The traditional ANZAC Day Parade will proceed as it has in past years and, while there are no restrictions on numbers, people are encouraged to watch the ABC live telecast to help reduce congestion along the parade route. However, those attending are asked to log in at QR points along the route.
The Commemorative Service at the Concert Hall and the Gun Fire Breakfast will also proceed as they have in the past, as both events are within pandemic management guidelines.
The ANZAC Sunset Service, traditionally held in Kings Park the evening before the Dawn Service, has been cancelled this year because of COVID.
Mr McCourt said the restrictions had also affected a number of events being held by RSLWA Sub-Branches due to some understandable limitations in resources.
The above noted, Mr McCourt is encouraging West Australians to once again get involved in the community-based Light Up The Dawn driveway commemorations throughout the State which was highly successful during the depth of the Coronavirus pandemic on ANZAC Day last year.
“We want folks to gather in their driveways, on balconies, in living rooms or paddocks at 5.50am AWST just as they did last year. The candlelight vigil was extremely well and is set to become a new tradition for all future ANZAC Days.”
To register your attendance visit https://www.trybooking.com/events/landing?eid=732262&
Registration will close once the 10,000 limit has been reached.
More information regarding ANZAC Day events can be found here.