- This event has passed.
Evolution: Torres Strait Masks
An event every day that begins at 12:00 am, repeating until August 21, 2022
- Experience special insight into the role of masks in Torres Strait Islander culture and the rituals that brought these amazing masks to life in this incredible travelling exhibition.
Evolution: Torres Strait Masks showcases the rich history of mask making in the Torres Strait Islands (Zenadh Kes), located between Queensland’s Cape York Peninsula and Papua New Guinea.
This fascinating exhibition features 12 striking masks, objects and other related cultural materials that will teach you about the:
• Evolution of the mask in Torres Strait Islander culture
• Reaction of the early maritime explorers to this practice
• Many cultural protocols inherent in creating a mask
• Performances and rituals that brought the masks to life
• Tools, techniques and materials used in mask-making
• Ways masks influence contemporary art forms today
An engaging exhibit the whole family can enjoy!
Free exhibition. Museum entry fees apply